Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The "You Made My Day" Award Goes to...

The daily allotment of one's household mail can be grouped largely into 3 categories: that which is tossed immediately (the interminable avalanche of junk mail), that which you'd like to toss but can't (those damned bills), and that which is opened immediately but in retrospect was better off tossed (ie. a coupon from a certain store).

It is with ever-diminishing frequency that the mail brings some form of good tidings from someone you actually want to hear from, with thoughts or contents directed solely to you, and that was personally penned by a human being. When this rare confluence of events occurs, the angels are heard singing in heaven.
It was with such beneficence that the gods looked down on me recently. A certain Ms. Amy, a lovely Aficionada from New York, made my day not once but twice -- the first time about 7 weeks ago and the second time on this very day. For what should emerge from my drab mailbox but a present picked out just for me, completely free of charge.

This thoughtful, generous, and may I say elegant Aficionada found me through Slastena's blog, and a dialogue developed between us about items on our respective wish lists. Both being 0-2 petites and thus in the same boat when it comes to tracking down J.Crew finds in our sizes, we quickly began to look out for each other on the sale racks and the Great Weekly Exchange. This, of course, is a spirit embodied by many a kind Aficionada, as evidenced by numerous helpful tips about where to find various pieces and even going so far as to place merchandise on hold for each other.

This particular Aficionada took the helpful spirit a step further. She read my blog posts, remembered which colors I love, and contacted me when she had items to spare in my favorite colors. But wait, there's more. She went out of her way to mail me a sweet little package with a brand new, never worn item, completely gratis! She wouldn't even let me pay for shipping, bless her heart. Not once, but twice, mind you. And with the cutest little floral-embossed notecard, handwritten by none other than her.

The first present she sent me was a sunny pair of Favorite Fit Vintage Bootcut Cords in Golden Yellow, perfectly sized for me. This was such a nice surprise, as I had always wanted to try a bright colored pant but never really went for it. When the time came to allocate my sparse dollars on fall clothing, I had never been able to justify Golden Yellow when I always need chocolate, vanilla, or charcoal. But boy, am I glad to have those yellow cords now! They added such zest to my wardrobe.

Here are some Polyvore sets I created and successfully tested with the cords:






Then, today, on a truly dismal, cold, and rainy day - when I am once again left alone in the house after a long holiday weekend - what better pick me up could have arrived than a sparkling confection of a Joie de Vivre Rose Balm "Candy" Tee in the most luscious shade of Cerise? Incredibly, though I purchased several of these as Christmas gifts, I never once saw this color in the stores. Had I, it's entirely possible that I may have sprung for one. But I abstained, instead doling them out to contented friends and family like, well, candy. So imagine how overcome with awe I was to unwrap a mouthwatering little treat in today's mail and behold the sparkles that adorned it? I couldn't wait to put it on immediately, and it instantly lifted my mood for the second half of the day.

You cannot fully appreciate how amazing this tee looks on me, especially when paired with my beloved Cerise cardi from fall. The color alone makes me glow, and the size could not have been better planned. I've already set to work creating Polyvore sets with it:






Therefore, I'd like to bestow upon Ms. Amy a "You Made My Day" Award. Thank you for making my day not once but twice!


11 comments:

HeidiG said...

Love the tee. What a kind & generous Aficionada! Can't wait to see IRLs!

GingerSnap said...

What a great fellow blogger you found! Lucky girl! :) On a side note, I might have to get in on your "searches" - I too am a petite 0 and would love to help/be helped in finding sizes! :)

3-Penny Princess said...

GingerSnap - she also happens to be a redhead! Yes, we must all look out for each other. I've been "collecting" other 0-2 petite Aficionadas (aka my Weekly Exchange suppliers). I'll have to post a comprehensive list of us so we can stay in touch. Strength in numbers!

Petunia said...

That is so sweet!!

Summerilla said...

What a great story! Love to hear how JCA's are looking out for each other.

Alexis {J.Crew Aficionada} said...

What a lovely story!!! Amy is truly a generous person. :)

Slastena said...

That's the true spirit of friendhsip! How lovely!I wish I'd read stories like that every day vs daily grudge or worse. Congrats to both of you and thank you for putting a smile on my face!:)

Anonymous said...

What an adorable story--you are a great writer!

Anonymous said...

wow, great sets! i looove those yellow cords, the colour is so bold and interesting!

www.prettyexquisite.blogspot.com

Annie said...

oooh, love the color of the cords! your polyvore sets are great... i love the combination of yellow and grey :)

http://anniediamond.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

How sweet! What a great friend you have in each other. I love your Poyvores. They gave me some great ideas!