Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Retreat in the Sunshine State and Welcoming Summer

After being buried in a year’s worth of hard work and crazy hours, the hubby and I decided to take a well-deserved vacay from the hustle and bustle of D.C. and relax in the Sunshine State a couple of weeks ago. And boy was our timing impeccable! For probably the first time ever, we took a 9-day trip and managed to enjoy all 9 beautiful, sunny, warm, and perfect days.

Every single day in Florida was in the high 80s with no humidity, no rain, and no ominous clouds. The beach was idyllic, the water was calm and blue-green, and the breeze was just right. Which we learned was in stark contrast to the chilly, rainy, and dark weather that we left all our friends in. Unfortunately, we also returned to some of it, but at least I had a decent tan to show for our 9 days. So now, I can finally wear short shorts and summer dresses without making people wince.

Here are some recaps:

Florida Beach Vista

Need I say more?Walking the Dog with Alligators

Why you shouldn’t feed the gators:

Baby Gator

This little one was swimming right in the pond near the house.

Shopping in St. Armand's Circle 

Shopping (of course) on the picturesque St. Armand’s Circle.

Visiting the Ringling Museum

Squeezing in a little culture at the Ringling Museum, which has an impressive collection of European paintings from the last millennium.

Hanging Out with Auntie

The last picture is of me with my aunt, who unexpectedly visited while we were down there. What a wonderful treat!

Here are some more sets inspired by the laid-back beach lifestyle that we would all like to enjoy but can only dream about:

I’d like to point out that J.Crew still loves me enough to send me gifts from time to time, like the cute tote bag above which I took to the beach every day.

 

Not wanting to leave it all behind completely, I’m hoping to channel a slightly more “resort” vibe in my work wear this summer:

I can’t think of a better way to welcome the summer season and embrace another year of business success. Here’s to happy upcoming Memorial Day holiday for all of you and a fabulous start to summer!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back!
You so totally deserve that vacation.
Thank you so much for the inspiration with all your fashionable polyvore sets.

3-Penny Princess said...

Thank you, Rosa! I can't wait to see you girls again soon!

Slastena said...

Ok, you are excused for not showing up on May 1st. I love Folrida and rememeber splendid trips we took with HD to Key West, Key Largo, Destin, Miami and Orlando. The first 3 happened pre-kids, and then 2 Orlando trips with my eldest one. I am sitting right now at Beaches, Negril and it's such a liberating feeling to be {finally} able to catch up on posts and reading. Wow!M.Jr is asleep and I can just sit and type, and read, and whatever. I love the laid-back beach style you have presented, but was laughing as I was reading that we need it more here. Agree!Thank you for sharing. Your posts are always a treat.

3-Penny Princess said...

Slastena, thanks for forgiving me for missing May 1! I definitely want to see everyone soon though. I hope you have a fabulous time on your island retreat and get plenty of rest. You totally deserve it! Come back with a nice tan too. Can't wait to see your photos!

HeidiG said...

I love St Armand's Circle! We used to go to FL every spring break because my grandparents wintered on Anna Maria Island. I love the west coast of FL - beaches are so gorgeous!

We must chat FL soon!!

3-Penny Princess said...

Heidi, I agree - Florida's Gulf Coast is beautiful! Calm waters, less people, and (at least in Sarasota County) few hurricanes. My folks have only owned a house there for about 5 years, but I fully look forward to making use of it at least once a year!

itztru said...

You look wonderful! Always so much fun to read your posts and "fave" your Polyvore sets!

3-Penny Princess said...

Thanks, itztru! It's great to at least keep in touch through Polyvore. And I get to see the latest acquisitions as I don't get out to the stores often. I hope to write more now too!